Mini-Assignment 1: Medical Records
Although you will be working with previously collected data, it is important to understand what data looks like as well as how it is coded and entered into a spreadsheet or dataset for analysis. Use the medical records for 5 patients seeking treatment in a hospital emergency room to accomplish the following:
- Select 4 variables recorded on the medical forms (one should be a unique identifier, at least one should be a quantitative variable and at least one should be a categorical variable)
- Select a brief name (ideally 8 characters or less) for each variable
- Determine what range of values is needed for recording each variable (create dummy codes as needed)
- Label variables within an Excel spreadsheet
- Enter data for each patient in the Excel spreadsheet
- List the variable names, labels, types, and, response codes below the data set (i.e. the code book).
- Submit the excel sheet in moodle under Mini-Assignment 1.